Welcome
Welcome to midshiresorchardgroup

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

First cherry from the orchard!

Chat about cherries here...

First cherry from the orchard!

Postby AdstockEnd » Fri Jun 27, 2014 5:39 pm

I enjoyed my first ripe cherry from the Adstock End orchard today! It was a small, black, juicy and very tasty fruit from the 'Goblin' cherry tree. Derek and Judy Tolmen at Bernwode Fruit Trees grafted this one for me last year and it was planted out this spring. Here's what they have to say about it in their on-line catalogue:

GOBLIN - A very old variety, presumed of local Buckinghamshire origin, never mentioned in the historic literature and now known only to Mr Martin Stevens. His tree is over 100 years old and may be 150 or more. Now in his 90s, he remembers it fully grown as a child. The fruit is below middle size, black and more pointed than many cherries. Since the stone is larger in relation to the smaller fruit, it was used mostly for cooking, rather than dessert for the market, though it is a rich, juicy and sweet dessert fruit. His family prized it for pies and cherry turnovers. Middle-flowering.*

http://www.bernwodeplants.co.uk/descrip ... herry3.htm

The Adstock End orchard is a specimen orchard of all known Buckinghamshire varieties of top fruit - apples, pears, plums and cherries. In addition, rare varieties from other MSOG counties and a selection of red-fleshed and cider apples are grown. there are 120 trees already and still many to add!
AdstockEnd

Return to Cherries